Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Online Honors Institute Infomercial

Having taken a film class in high school before and actually being required to produce my own film, it's already pretty easy for me to lay out an idea in my mind of what an ideal infomercial for the Honors program should look like. The first thing that I would take into account is my audience, which would be prospective or current Foothill students. So I would have to direct my film to these students and make it interesting for them. I think the best way that this can be done is by showing other students talking about the program, such as the Slippery Rock College did. Students would want to see other students talking about the program, rather than adults like the faculty, who they may not really relate to. I noticed that with the films made in high school, the more successful and popular ones that students enjoyed were the ones that featured students the most. This wouldn't mean that I wouldn't interview some faculty of the honors program, it's just that I wouldn't make them my main focus, but rather the students that benefit so much from the program.

I'd probably start off the film by showing video of the Foothill Campus, the Honors Institute office, and in the classroom of different honors classes. I don't think I'd have a narrator, as that can give a less-personal feel to the film. The students interviewed would be asked what their majors are, how long they have been at Foothill, where they want to transfer, etc. I'd also want to make clear some facts about the Honors Program and clear any myths or worries that some students might have about the program. I basically would like the students to describe the program and what it is doing for them. After watching the infomercial, the goal should be that students should be well-informed of everything about the Honors Program, as well as getting a good idea of how other students feel about the program.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. I'd love to see you try this -- especially as you have some experience making student films!