Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Practical Portfolios

I can see myself using ePortfolios in only a few ways, one of them being for gaining employment. This option really seems the easiest to me because the freedom of the internet allows you to make your ePortfolio on your own time, at your home (or other place of choice), and you can add decorations to the webpage that you aren't necessarily allowed to do on a paper portfolio. Most of the ePortfolios I viewed were resume-type portfolios that listed all of their achievements, awards, and past jobs. I would have no qualms in making such a portfolio and I think more businesses/companies would be more interested in it if they learned more about ePortfolios.

While that may seem like the easiest and most beneficial ePortfolio to make, I also wouldn't mind making an ePortfolio that showed my work in school and how it has (hopefully) progressed throughout the years. I have already had to do such a portfolio (on paper) when I was in the eighth grade and I actually did find it pretty fun to be able to look back at all of my work, some that I was proud of and others that I wish I never did. Looking back at such work can be beneficial in realizing that school (and life) can be a rollercoaster sometimes of things that you are proud of and no so proud of, but you made it through anyways. This ePortfolio could also be considered as being made simply for my own personal pleasure, because I can't really imagine a lot of people being interested in a complete stranger's past schoolwork. But if I were to make an ePortfolio just for the sake of wanting to make one, I'd choose a topic that I have a keen interest in and others might too (such as animals or even one that might document the school life at whatever college I end up at). ePortfolios seem to be making ground in the internet world and just like any other portfolios, can be used in various ways.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. Well, all those ones you want to make (for your own pleasure) are the type I have in mind for this course -- so let's get started :)