Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Learning Portfolios

I think it would be fun to do an ePortfolio on my favorite movies, since I was planning on being a film major when I first enrolled in community college. Movies are very interesting to me and I have a few particular favorites that I never get sick of watching. My target audience, would most likely be my family and the people that know me best (such as my friends). There might also be a few people here and there who are also movie-fanatics who might be interested in my ePortfolio. I would show several video clips of parts of my favorite movies (courtesy of YouTube, perhaps) and then I would explain in detail why these clips are important for people to see. I wouldn't just want to direct my ePortfolio towards people who have already seen the films that I cover, but also ones who may have an interest in film in general and want to see several different movies that they maybe haven't seen before. To show my evolution of learning, I would show, maybe through text, some movies that were my favorite as a kid (mostly Disney films) and would proceed to show how my interest in films was shaped throughout the years. Images of movie posters and the actors in the movies would also be extremely efficient to show that as I got older, I didn't like movies just for the actors in them, but also mainly for the script and plot as well.

Hopefully, I would be able to get some insight from other viewers of my portfolio, but if not, then just compare my thoughts about movies to other movie critics and see how sophisticated I have become when it comes to movie-watching. Even though I have chosen not to major in film anymore, I still have quite a passion for movies and watch as many as I can (Oscar-worthy or not) every year. My overall goal would be to show others how movies can shape people's lives and how big of a role they play in our society through their famous words and images. By showing the movies that I like in particular, I hopefully would be able to encourage others to step forward and reveal their favorite movies, no matter how popular they are or not. And hopefully, people will learn about more independent, cult classic films that they have never heard of before, thus enhancing their overall movie knowledge.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. You know my first reaction was that this wouldn't really be an ePortfolio because it wouldn't be focused on your own work. However after reading your full description I think it would indeed fit, at least for this course, because you're still focused on your own ability to analyze, understand, and (hopefully someday) make films. Or perhaps also to write film reviews. Have you ever tried writing any reveiws, BTW? There's no time like th present! English Profs like me tend to consider the film reviews of Pauline Kael in the 70s and 80s (in the New Yorker) to be the Gold Standard.