Wednesday, May 21, 2008

CalPoly Procrastination

After reading just the first paragraph of the procrastination characteristics section, it felt like I was reading an article that described me to a T. I TOTALLY take advantage of my time, as the article notes that if something is due in two weeks, you start to think that two weeks is more than enough time. I also strongly identify (and agree with) the part where it says that if you procrastinate on an assignment yet still get a pretty good/decent grade, it's almost encouraging the behavior to procrastinate again in the future. After all, you got a pretty good grade when you procrastinated, so why not do it again? The article at times felt like a psychological evaluation of procrastinators, even using the term, "A Frustrated Victim," to describe anther characteristic of procrastinators. However, I really liked the part where the article listed four reasons for procrastination and also listed some suggestions to help change those habits.

I can see how an article like this might help some kids who are struggling to turn their work in on time; however some kids just might be so used to procrastinating that it would be really hard to break the cycle. The article seems to be just focusing their attention on students, who are famous for procrastinating the worse, even though I'm sure adults in professional fields procrastinate as well. And even though some of the suggestions listed do sound pretty useful and insightful, the lure of procrastination also lingers in the back of student's minds that's sometimes just too strong to resist. Instead of just making me feel stupid and lazy like some articles on procrastination do, I think this one almost empathized more with students as to what causes them to procrastinate.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

13 points. Glad to hear the article was (potentially) healthful.