Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Re-Assessing the Honors Institute

Overall, I think I am pretty happy with the Honors Institute and the benefits it offers, such as the popular UCLA Tap program. I'm pretty sure that without that agreement, I definitely would not have been accepted to UCLA. However, I do have some issues with the program, but it's one in particular that bothers me the most. I think that there needs to be a bigger variety of classes available each quarter or at least a repetition of classes. For example, I wanted to add a particular seminar class that was being offered in the fall quarter. Yet, of course, when I went online and tried to add it, the class was already full and there was a waitlist. I thought that wouldn't be a problem, only to find out that that class was only being offered that quarter, one time, for the rest of the year. I just think it's not fair, especially to the people who are already in their 2nd year and are likely leaving at the end of the spring quarter. We are basically given only one chance to take a particular class and after that, it's too bad too sad.

More and more people seem to be joining the Honors Program so I just think that out of a matter of fairness and equal opportunity to all, there should be either a bigger selections of classes in general or at least have some of the same classes be offered during different quarters. So at least there is an opportunity to take a particular class another quarter. Of course, I might just feel this way because I have had a bad experience with signing up for classes, while others who have had no problem with getting the classes they want might not see it as being a big deal. Even with that little issue, I still think the strengths of the program (UCLA Tap, Honors Scholar) greatly outweigh the weaknesses.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. You can help us recruit potential Honors faculty! Who would you like to see teaching in the program? Why not approach them?