Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Exploring Cloud Computing and Web 2.0

While looking around Dr. Helen Barrett's site on Google Apps, I must admit that at first I was really confused. I've always considered myself an internet-savvy person, judging by the fact that I'm on it almost every day and kind of grew up with it, but maybe it was all the words or the little diagram that was at the top of the page, but I was totally lost. But after reading up on it for a short time, I think I finally got the jist of what Google Apps are all about. The YouTube video was also pretty informative and basically made Google Apps seem like the newer, technological way to send and edit documents. First off, a big benefit is that the Google Apps list is long, therefore giving students and teachers more options on not only how to upload work, but also on how to comment on it. Google Groups seems like a great area is share ideas between teachers and students about the work being submitted. I'm sure I'd love using Google Apps just because it'd make the process a whole lot easier since there are so many different applications with specific purposes, that it would seem really hard to forget where you put something or where to go to find something.

I was really all for the benefits of Google Apps because I could see so many right off the bat. However, I can understand some people could get easily confused (like I was in the beginning, but just stay that way). Something could easily go wrong in the uploading/sharing process and either not get uploaded or get uploaded totally weird or whatnot. Also, I'm not sure if this is exactly true or not, but if it is, I think some students in particular might feel kind of embarrassed to let other kids see the comments teacher make to them about their work and make it totally public. It's like posting your grade for all to see, which I'm sure a lot of kids would not appreciate very much. Also, if people for some odd reason absolutely hate Google I'm sure then that they would not be very excited to use all Google applications in helping to create their ePortfolio.

1 comment:

Scott Lankford said...

25 points. I admit that I myself have not yet "taken the plunge" into full-fledged use of Google Apps -- at least not yet!